X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moab - March 21-28 ,2010

The date is set. Spring Break! March 21-28 ,2010

This time we plan to find a nice place to form a base camp and venture out from there. I should now be set up for some nice "long-term primitive" camping. Taking Goblin Valley road south to the park, turn right (West) on CR 1013 (County Road 1013) to Little Wild Horse Canyon. After crossing Wild Horse Creek there will be a turn to the South East leading to the edge of the hills.

Goblin camp
    Box camp

Google: Goblin Camp 38° 34'15.66N , 110° 45'46.68W
    Box Camp: 38° 34'21.48N , 110° 46'2.54W

Delorme: Goblin Camp 38° 34.2576N , 110° 45.7797W
    Box Camp: 38° 34.3580N , 110° 46.0477W

Three rigs are committed for sure, with four "maybes?" thus far. Lots of interest, if half show it will be quite a group. Plenty of time to research locations and venues.

Visiting:
    • Goblin Valley The BLM land west of Goblin Valley along road 1013 headed towards the Swell and Capitol Reef has lots of places to duck into that can 'hide' a fair sized group.

Need to find dinosaur footprints:
      Copper Ridge Sauropod Track site N38° 49' 54" W109° 45' 43"
      Dinosaur and petroglyphs map

Burr Trail? Take the Muley Twist road and check out the hike to the Waterpocket Fold overlook.

We will be seeking slot canyons and waterfalls.
    Last edited by HenryJ; 11-20-2009, 09:24AM. Reason: UPDATED with date: March 21-28 ,2010
    "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-mechanic from Mad Max-
    If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

The date is set. Time to start looking at those maps!
    "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-mechanic from Mad Max-
    - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Gear list:

At a minimum each vehicle should be equipped with:
      Adequate all terrain tires and carry a fullsize spare.
      Tools and jack to change the tire.
      Front and rear recovery points.
      8" ground clearance.

What You Must Bring:

* 1.5 gallons of water per person per day (for drinking, showering, washing, and food preparation.) Keep a bottle of water with you at all times.
      * Enough food/beverages for your entire party
      * First aid kit
      * Warm clothing for evenings-this is a desert at 6000 feet elevation!
      * Bedding and shelter of some type; the winds can exceed 75 mph, and the mid-day temperature can exceed 80°
      * A good camp tent is recommended along with warm sleeping bags. Evening temperatures can be in the 30's.
      * Garbage bags
      * Any required prescriptions, contact lens supplies (disposables work great), or whatever else you need to maintain your health and comfort in a remote area with no services
      * Flashlights and spare batteries (headlamps are useful)-to be sure you can see and be seen at night.
      * Sunscreen/sunblock lotion and sunglasses
      * Fire extinguisher
      * Common sense, an open mind, and a positive attitude

We Strongly Suggest You Bring:

* A wide brim hat
      * Walking staff
      * A cooking stove if you expect to heat food or liquid
      * Watertight / dust tight protective bags (e.g. heavy zip-type) for cameras or electronic gear
      * Lotion/lip balm to treat cracked skin
      * Smokers: portable ashtrays (e.g. an empty candy tin, or film canister)
      * A radio (FRS preferred for hiking and vehicle to vehicle - 2m would be great!)
      * Particle/dust mask/Bandanna (Dust storms are not uncommon.)
      * Tent stakes (High winds are likely.)
      * Goggles to protect eyes in case of dust storms
      * Extra set of car keys

Helpful Things to Bring:

* Tire repair kit and air compressor
      * Sewing kit
      * Rope and/or string
      * Handy wipes
      * Duct tape
      * Global Positioning System receiver.
      * Binoculars
      * Porta Privy / Wag Bags / Porta potty

Things NOT to Bring:

* Excess packaging from foods (For example, remove outer box from cereals and just bring the inner bag.)
      * Nuts in their shells
      * Too much fresh produce. Many melons are thrown out at the end of the week.
      - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Originally posted by HenryJ View Post
        The date is set. Spring Break! March 21-28 ,2010
        Thanks for posting your plan and the dates.

Very unlikely I will make it, but THANKS for the invite, and I will keep those dates in mind when I bid my vacation in 2010. I really like to explore the Reef some more, heck I’d like to get back to the Swell too.

Comment

Thanks for considering it! I am told by a mutual friend that we have things in common. Some day we will enjoy conversation and sharing our "Go-go-gadget" trucks :)

It is all new to us. I think west of Goblin Valley somehwere off that mining road is the plan right now. I'd like to find some of those amazing sights. There seem to be plenty down there. This is set to be a much more casual trip. Less rush and more relax.
          - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Will probably join you..putting it on the calendar. ...doing the trails for the 3rd time in about 3 weeks with a small group. The wife is there today on a girls 3 day trip "out", they say they are getting Colorado peaches. 500 miles to get peaches

I have been away from 4WDtrips for several months so just catching up??

Comment

Originally posted by JoeD View Post
              Will probably join you..putting it on the calendar.
              Nice! Look forward to meeting. We will be working on where and what. If you have input feel free to post. We are going to be REALLY flexible and laid back this time :)
              - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Those dates match my Spring Break too. I've had such a crappy summer that I need something to look forward to, so put me down as a "maybe".

Comment

Hope you are all rehabbed by then. The kids will have a blast, I'm sure. Tach and Eric did on our last trip. I hope we can make it a repeat this time.
                  - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

No need to say that this is one of my favorite places. Last time we got together, Uwe helped you track me down using my GPS/gate setup. It used a phone. Remember that?
                    Now with the SPOT, you will know where I am, as long as you can get an internet connection. If I recall correctly, some Moab places have free WIFI.

Wait a minute, end of March is when we have our 4WD yearly party. I need to check the calendar for all of this. YukonBob don't post it until early in the year.
                    Huh, I want to see if I can make both happen. It will be a great year if I do it.

You know me. I wish I could plan a 4WDTrip that much in advance.
                    It will depend of the work load at that time. I need to see Eric's school too. Wife and the other older kids are a lost cause. I will not even try. Maybe a reverse psychology will work.

I am on your list of, I wish I can make it. Will confirm in 2/2010.
                    Thanks for sharing your plans with us.

-Jack
                    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
                    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Comment

Thanks for bumping this back to the top.
                      I have been gathering tidbits as I can.

San Rafael Country
                      Wiki- Goblin Valley

I think this looks like the place?

Taking Goblin Valley road south to the park, turn right (West) on CR 1013 (County Road 1013) to Little Wild Horse Canyon. After crossing Wild Horse Creek there will be a turn to the South East leading to the edge of the hills.
                      There are a couple good sites along the bluffs. One very protected in a box canyon and another among the goblins.

Goblin camp

Box camp

I get conflicting coordinates using Google Earth and Delorme Topo.

Google: Goblin Camp 38° 34'15.66N , 110° 45'46.68W
                      Box Camp: 38° 34'21.48N , 110° 46'2.54W

Delorme: Goblin Camp 38° 34.2576N , 110° 45.7797W
                      Box Camp: 38° 34.3580N , 110° 46.0477W
                      - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Looks like this will be a cool trip for you guys (and it looks like you enjoy trip planning as much as I do)
                        http://arizonatrailways.com/cs/blogs...a/default.aspx

Comment

I do what I can to take some of the surprise out of things
                          Without someone familiar with the area, I do what I can to learn the surroundings. I am always a little leery about going in blind. Hoping to get the most out of the longer distance trips. With people coming from Il and KY , I hate to spend days looking for a place to camp

My planning seems to go in spurts. Time is not always my friend. If I don't plan a long way out I never have enough time.
                          I guess I do enjoy it a little. I do feel some obligation too. I am supposed to be the one who "knows" , little do they know...
                          - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

I don't know how my schedule will be next year, but I'll watch the thread. It'd be good to meet you Henry after chatting off and on for years.
                            Please Tread Lightly

Comment

That would be awesome. I'd love to shake hands with "Da,bear"
                              - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Working...
                              X