Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JackSilb
    replied
    My list is likely to be different than many, because the stuff I do most often is different than most of you. As we all know, I REALLY like playing on big rocks, so my vehicles are geared more towards that than expedition travel (anyone who has seen my jeep loaded down knows that jeeps are not intended for expedition travel!). I also belive in only upgrading things one time. Do it right the first time. That said.....
    The first thing I would purchase is skid plates. First protect anything that retains oil (oil pan, transmission pan, differential covers), then any low hanging suspension/drivetrain/steering components, next is body protection (bumpers, rock sliders, etc), and definately add a solid tow point on each end of the rig if it didn't come with any.

Next is lift/tires. If a lift is not in the plans for 30,000+ miles, then add a locker (if it doesn't already have one), and the largest tire you can fit without rubbing excessively or lowering bumpstops. Or, if a lift is planned, then I suggest thinking about it this way. Decide what size tire you are going to run, THEN buy the smallest lift you need to fit the tires. Of course, gearing upgrades may need to happen at the same time as a lift and bigger tires. As long as you are in there, add a good locker.

Depending on the terrain you frequent, somewhere along the line you may need to look at things like a roll cage, upgraded seats and seat belts (harness), etc.

A winch is nice, but I don't recommend anyone travel back country alone (with only one rig). Travel with a friend. They can help get you un-stuck, and the campfire conversation is better with at least 2 participants.

As for Harry's comments about doing 95% of what everybody else is doing.....well, for what most people do, that is probably pretty accurate. My jeep has gone over a huge laundry list of trails, with no major damage, and very rarely have I had to have someone pull me over anything....and my jeeps suspension & drivetrain is 100% stock. But I don't like the idea of using the winch for the other 5%. Dragging your vehicle over something with a winch is bad. You tend to bend things, move rocks in the trail, and generally tear stuff up. Winches are great recovery tools, but should not be used as a integral part of your drivetrain. Let me put it this way, if you know you are going to need the winch to get through the trail, you probably shouldn't have your rig on that trail. Now before anyone takes offense, I have only met Harry once, very briefly, and have never wheeled with him. And I doubt that he takes his trucks on trails knowing that he will have to use the winch to get it through. I'm just saying that a winch is definately not in my 'top 3', and the statement above is one of the big reasons why.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

olllllllo <---- If you can read that, roll me over.

KG6OWO

Price is soon forgotton, quality is not.

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD tosee and do more.
    Tread Lightly! empowers generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly...
    http://www.4wdtrips.net

Leave a comment:

• JackSilb
    replied
    1. CB Radio
    2. A day worth of training
    3. Tires

After that you can go crazy depending on where you live, what you drive, what the vehicles weak points are, and the type of people you go wheeling with.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Michael Slade
    Tawàyama Safaris Inc.
    http://www.tawayama.com

Leave a comment:

• JackSilb
    replied
    Well, as an AZ state OHV (and Land Rover North America) instructor I advise clients a little differently and would change this list slightly. Of course this is my opinion, as there is no actual authority on the subject.

With $2,000 to spend (this assumes that you are carrying a decent jack like a high-lift):

1. Tires- what ever the largest size that can be fitted without lowering the bump stops, or significant rubbing. Must be LT rated or higher for puncture resistance.
    2. Skid plates then sliders. It is more important to protect the oil pan first, then the body.
    3. Rear locking differential. If the vehicle already has traction control or a good LSD then go for the winch.

Here is the logic:

It is not recommended by AZ OHV and most instructors that people drive off-highway unsupported. If you are driving supported (with other vehicles in attendance) the need for a winch greatly diminishes, as the other vehicles can assist in extraction.

Good tires will make the vehicle safer off-highway, and allow you to travel more efficiently, with less impact to the environment
    Skid plates and sliders will reduce vehicle damage that a winch is unlikely to prevent.
    A locking differential in the rear axle is IMO the single greatest performance advantage you can gain... Period.

A good example of this theory is the Jeep Wrangler Rubicon. It comes with great tires (D or E rated), Skidplates and locking differentials. Even without a lift or winch, it can travel some of the most challenging trails in the country.

A good jack and tow strap and tow points should be the first thing that goes onto any vehicle.

Not to discount Mr. Bakers recommendation, mine would just be different.

I have some more thoery on the 3 T's of traction that I will post later if I have time. Isn't this stuff fun...

Scott Brady
    mailto:guide@expeditionswest.com

Leave a comment:

• JackSilb
    replied
    Hi Jack,

thanks for responding...your list included two of Harry's 3 things to buy first. What was interesting to me was his number one item - what he considered the most important - which you didn't have on your list and I think most people probably wouldn't put first...would be interesting to hear others opinions as well...that's why I think this thread has some benefit to all.

Here's Harry's list:

1. Winch
    2. Tires - one or two sizes larger than originals with good tread
    3. Sliders/skid plate

He says he's never lifted the suspension on his vehicles...says he can do 95% of what everyone else does and his winch will get him through the other 5%...interesting, yes???

Leave a comment:

• JackSilb
    replied
    Hi Vince,

Somewhere in the Forum I believe there is a rank on the mods. Scott and the other have discussed them in details. But talking about it again will not hurt. Especially because this will be tailored to you.

- Do you have a TACOMA TRD or not? That is, do you already have lockers on the back?

Here is my list:
    1) Tires. Having a good set of tires will take you a long way and be safe. Most of people here run the BFG AT KO.
    2) Lockers. It is amazing the difference that a lock diff makes. You have to test it yourself to believe it. It can take out of trouble / safety and be easy in the environment.
    1 and 2 will eat your $2K already.

For the second round:
    3) Upgraded shocks and suspension. With your cool camper you will need a better suspension soon. Baja and other TACOmens can tell you what work best for them.
    4) Sliders. It can save some body work. It can pay its $250 easy at the first time you try something more technical or you are not really pay attention to that not so friendly rock that did not move out of the way.

-JACK

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.

Leave a comment:

• JackSilb
    replied
    I think it's safe to say that there is a ton of offroad experience between all the members of this forum as well as tens of thousands of dollars spent on mods and building offroad vehicles. I think the following might be of practical interest to newbies and, at least, theoretical interest to the experienced, since we all about to or continue to spend mucho deniro $$$$ on our beloved vehicles and continue to evaluate what to buy next!!

How would you answer the following question: 'I have a stock 4x4 and $2,000 to spend on mods. What should be the first things I buy? (in terms of personal safety, handling different offroad situations, and ensuring the protection of my vehicle) I think it would be interesting to hear different responses to this question.

I took an offroad training/safety course this weekend. This was a course sponsored by the state of California at one of their OHV (off highway vehicle) sites. The course was taught by Harry Baker - a guy with over 40 years of offroad experience...his website is 4x4quest.com. He and Harry Llewelyn (sp?)...who many of you are familiar with... know each other. The question above was what I asked him...his answer surprised me.

How would you answer the question? I'll post his response if anyone answers the the question.

like I said, this is fun, educational, theoretical!!!!

Leave a comment:

• JackSilb
    started a topic Priority on Mods

Priority on Mods

How about to compile the posts that have the rational on the Mods?

-JACK

Working...
X