No announcement yet.

Priority on Mods

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

good words, gents...what I extract from your good words is to get out there and do some trails and choose mods relative to what I want to do and where that takes me...I mean, why spend $10K on mods if you're only going to do easy trails...at this point, I don't feel a great need to do the Rubicon...what I am drawn to is doing trails that will lead me to cool places to camp that aren't overrun with people...if I need skid plates and sliders to find and get to those places, then I'll get them...but I need to find that out for myself...but in the meantime I'll have some basics like light truck tires, hi-lo jack, tow strap, CB, safety seal if I puncture a tire, and of course my beloved flippac...I'm not going to run out and buy a winch until I've been in at least one situation where I need one (even though it looks cool to have a bull bar with lights and winch...lol..there's that cool factor) and thanks to you all, I will get a rear locker before I get the winch... :-) thanks, guys

vince

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD tosee and do more.
    Tread Lightly! empowers generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly...
    http://www.4wdtrips.net
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Comment

VikingVince said...

How would you answer the following question: 'I have a stock 4x4 and $2,000 to spend on mods. What should be the first things I buy?
      I forgot, was this 'stock 4X4' the Honda CRV or the Hummer H1?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      KF6YSB

Comment

Excellent thread you got going here Vince! Too bad I don't have time to write much right now, but looks like these guys have it covered

I agree that you would do well to get the locker.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.bajataco.com

Comment

VikingVince said...
          Hi Jack,

thanks for responding...your list included two of Harry's 3 things to buy first. What was interesting to me was his number one item - what he considered the most important - which you didn't have on your list and I think most people probably wouldn't put first...would be interesting to hear others opinions as well...that's why I think this thread has some benefit to all.

Here's Harry's list:

1. Winch
          2. Tires - one or two sizes larger than originals with good tread
          3. Sliders/skid plate

He says he's never lifted the suspension on his vehicles...says he can do 95% of what everyone else does and his winch will get him through the other 5%...interesting, yes???
          Harry is a good guy. He is probably talking about someone with his skills.

> He says he's never lifted the suspension on his vehicles...says he can do 95% of what everyone else
          > does and his winch will get him through the other 5%...interesting, yes???

Yes, but with how much damage in the other side? I know driver skills is 80% of the game, but the other 20% needs help. For instance, ground clearance. There is so much you can do with tires placement. I put the lockers way in front of the winch.
          In this group, we probably have 2 or 3 with winches. They probably used it ~ 3 times.

-JACK

Comment

well ill answer the original question since i havent yet.

since im in GA, i would go this way:

all-terrain or mud tires.
            winch.
            longer shocks/swaybar disconnects.
            rear locker.
            skid plates/sliders.
            suspension & body lift for bigger tires.

- Ryan -
            2000 4Runner

OME'd, Locked, Armored, Prepared...See ya out there

Comment

> This is the thing about the CB.

> I have been in MANY groups where there have been one or two people who don't have a CB. As either the leader of these groups, or just a
              > participant, it is VERY ANNOYING to have to worry about weather or not the people who don't have a CB have the proper information. Is it time to
              > stop? Are you tired? Do you have to pee? Hows the gas situation? Gee, look at that neat bird flying overhead...etc.

Good points. I believed that we all assumed that a $50.00 CB was not in question. The CB should not be even considered a mod. Save on two dinners and you get one.

Not having a communication radio on-board is a pain. It can help you get help, bu I would not count on that. CB is so messy and people talk a lot over each other. Lots of noise and short distance in AM. If you run a good antenna and an amplifier then things get better. Then you will be talking about $300+

-JACK

Post Edited (JackSilb) : 7/6/2004 8:24:54 PM (GMT-8)

Comment

Looks like I'm resurecting a very old thread, but that's how I roll.

To answer Jack's original question "How would you answer the following question: 'I have a stock 4x4 and $2,000 to spend on mods. What should be the first things I buy? (in terms of personal safety, handling different offroad situations, and ensuring the protection of my vehicle) I think it would be interesting to hear different responses to this question."

I think this depends a lot on the rig and the driver. I tend to think of priority in the order of -Reliability first, Safety Seconds and then performance enhancements third.

Clearly a stock NEW 4x4 should be out of the box reliable, but if you start with an older used rig ( like a 1967) then upgrading wiring or installing fuel injection may be important to make your rig more reliable.

Once you've got a reliable rig, then safety would be the next priority. With a new rig and an inexperienced off road driver, then a class may be a very good idea. At the very least some books on off road driving and a repair manual for your rig would be a good idea. If you plan on getting into more risky situations a roll cage or upgraded brakes may be warranted.

Once you've got reliability and safety covered, then come the performance modifications. These are clearly dependent on the vehicle as well. I think improved traction through better tires, or a traction aiding device like a locker would come early on my list. If you have something like a new rubicon, that has tires and lockers, then I might just say add an ARB cooler and call it a day.
                Tom

Comment

Working...
                X