Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• weird computer...

i have a question...
    when i started the comp. the other day it booted weird: all icons were big and streched horizontally. i changed the settings (display settings) to small icons like before but they are still stretched and a bit out of focus as is everything else (text, photos, etc.). the desktop icons were also out of order.
    we downloaded the newest virus updates and ran a full scan with no results.
    any idea how to get the display back to normal?

we installed pinnacles (video editing program) about a year ago but never used it until a few days ago. i've had some problems WITH the program but not OUTSIDE the program. i uninstalled pinnacles and reinstalled it friday and saturday it started to be weird....

any help is appreciated
    thanks sven
    XXXpedition
    Project XXX

Lets start the investigation work.

When you move your mouse around does the screen pan? That is, is the entire screen moves around?
    If so, it just happen that your computer got confused on the type of monitor it is using. It happens with me often when I using my notebook with a LCD projector, if I boot with the LCD projector connected it get confused. It takes me a couple of key strokes to get it back.
    Try changing the resolution / apply ex: 1024 x 768, then get back to your native monitor resolution ex: 1280 x 1024.

Good luck.
    -JACK
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Comment

jack
      i did set the resolution back to 1024X768 but i can't change the monitor res.
      it says default monitor but does not give me changing options...
      except i'm looking in the wrong place.

also, when i turn off the comp. usually after i click 'shut down' under the start menu, the little window comes up in the middle of the screen with 3 options:
      standby, shut down, restart

standby is inactive since the screw-up...

the screen does not pan but scrolling is not smooth.

?????
      thanks sven
      XXXpedition
      Project XXX

Comment

Interesting...

I wonder if it is safe mode for some reason. Although, you mentioned the resolution being bad, you didnt describe it as "that" bad like safe mode usually would be. Have you tried to do a "Restore" function? What do you think Jack?

Best of luck,
        HI-N-LO DESERT RUNNERS CLUB
        WINDY AND DUSTY ANTELOPE VALLEY, CA.
        https://www.facebook.com/mojavedave1/

OR

http://hinlodesertrunners.tripod.com/ (This site is currently under re-construction)

Because Life Begins Where The Pavement Ends!

Comment

standby is inactive since the screw-up...
          Well, I need to reply from work. I am running Vista on this machine. The screen shots will not look the same.
          We will fix it if you have time and patience.
          Most likely, we will remove the video card driver then install it again.

Questions:
          Is this a desktop or notebook computer?
          If notebook, do you have a dock station? Are you using an external monitor?

Is your monitor an LCD or CRT?
          If LCD, what is the native resolution and max refresh rate? ex: 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024. ex max refresh rate 60Hz or 75 Hz for LCDs.

Did you take them from the USA? 110V 60Hz? Or did you get it locally?

If notebook, what video card chipset does it use? ex: Nvidia, ATI, Intel
          If desktop, what video card are you using?

Please download the latest driver for it from the manufacturer site before we start playing.

It is just a machine, it can't heart you. At least in this case.
          -JACK
          Last edited by JackSilb; 04-03-2007, 09:48PM.

Comment

Dave, I believe the safe mode has SAFE MODE all over the screen. Sven would have noticed that.

Thanks for replying.
            I am sure Alanh and Jim Wasson can't wait to give their opinions here.
            -JACK

Comment

Questions:
              Is this a desktop or notebook computer?
              If notebook, do you have a dock station? Are you using an external monitor?
              laptop: fujitsu N series lifebook N3511
              Is your monitor an LCD or CRT?
              If LCD, what is the native resolution and max refresh rate? ex: 1024 x 768, 1280 x 1024. ex max refresh rate 60Hz or 75 Hz for LCDs.
              i assume it's the crt?? the newer kind with the more glossy surface.
              Did you take them from the USA? 110V 60Hz? Or did you get it locally?
              bought it in the usa
              If notebook, what video card chipset does it use? ex: Nvidia, ATI, Intel
              If desktop, what video card are you using?
              i'm not sure. pinnacle (video editing programm) asked me to update the ATI radeon mobility 300 driver. when i downloaded the exe-file and ran it itsaid something like it didn't need it orcouldn't do it.and that was it - no other options.
              Please download the latest driver for it from the manufacturer site before we start playing.
              i dug out all the computer stuff (CDs, etc) and thereis a driver and application restore cd.
              should i use that?
              would that restore all kinds of things and i might loose files. just need to know so i can save everything on an external harddrive...

thanks
              sven
              XXXpedition
              Project XXX

Comment

just thought of something...
                i inserted a dvd in the comp and tried toplay it...
                this is what appeared on screen!

create overlay failed. please lower your screen resolution or color depth and try again
                XXXpedition
                Project XXX

Comment

As I suspected,all indicate a bad video driver.

No, don't restore the entire content of your HD from the restore CDs. You will may lose all your files if it reformat the HD.

I guess you meant you have a LCD not a CRT monitor. The CRT are the old large heavy monitors. Not sure anyone is still buying them.
                  Just to make sure we are clear here. Are you using the monitor of the notebook computer or an external monitor?

The first thing we will do is to use the notebook alone without an external monitor. Lets keep things simple.

Let me get some screen shots for you. Need to run now ...
                  -JACK
                  Last edited by JackSilb; 04-04-2007, 09:17AM.

Comment

Sven,

Here is Jack's quick instructions on how to update and/or remove it/reinstall your Video driver.

a) Please make sure you are connected to the Internet
                    b) Get and install the latest driver from the ATI website.
                    If this does not work, follow the attached document.

I hope it helps.
                    -JACK
                    Attached Files

Comment

ok,jack
                      never used an external monitor
                      here's what i have...
                      (i don't know how to get the screen shot)

under adapter:
                      all the adapter info in all 5 cases (chip type, dac type, etc) is
                      <unavailable>

under driver:
                      VgaSave
                      Service name: VgaSave
                      Display name: VgaSave

then a box 'Current Status' with:

then a box 'Startup' with:
                      Type (scroll-down menu) set to: System
                      options in the menu:
                      automatic, boot, demand, system, disabled

then an inactive button DRIVER DETAILS

below just the 2 buttons OK and CANCLE

it doesn't show the buttons UPDATE DRIVER, ROLL BACK DRIVER or UNINSTALL

reading your last part, now i know why the comp. said 'found new hardware' when i started it saturday! but since i did not know of the problem then, i didn't see a connection and cancled it... i thought there could not be any new hardware!
                      how can i get that one rolling again? seems like i'd just have to go through the 'found new hardware' process...
                      Last edited by xxxpedition; 04-05-2007, 12:18AM.
                      XXXpedition
                      Project XXX

Comment

i just tried to go through the hardware wizard:
                        i found an uninstalled hardware: Video Controller (VGA Compatible)

sounds like good news, right?
                        but when i clicked further it asks if i want to update the hardware through the internet and i said 'yes'
                        it mentions that i should insert a cd if available. i don't think i have that cd... however it should find it on the web, i'd think...

then it comes up with the following message:
                        Cannot Install this Hardware
                        The hardware was not installed because the wizard cannot find the necessary software.
                        Click 'Back' if you have installation media such as a CD-ROM, or if you know the location of a software.

If i goto install from a specific location there are 2 options:
                        from a removable media (floppy, cd)
                        or from a location on the computer: it suggests a path that leads to pinnacle (video software)
                        XXXpedition
                        Project XXX

Comment

Problem Solved

thanks for all your help!

after downloading the driver 3 times and unsuccessfully trying to install it i finally found the right support at the fujitsu website. here the system did let me install the driver again and everything seems back to normal...

sven
                          XXXpedition
                          Project XXX

Comment

Way to go buddy. I am happy for you.

I know that once we get used to have these machines around we feel very frustrated when they don't work.

You did make it happen.
                            You know, we need you around here to keep us wishing to go to Europe soon. And having the correct display configure will make you use your machine more.

Good job.
                            -JACK

Comment

:-)))))
                              does it really need that much arm-twisting to go to europe... :-)
                              XXXpedition
                              Project XXX

Comment

Working...
                              X