Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox users - spelling checker question

Hello,

For the WindowXp Firefox based users. Are you aware of any native spell checker? I am using the google bar, but it takes a while to check the spell.
    I am not sure why Firefox can't see/use the spell checker already available on Thunderbird.
    I am using Firefox 1.5.0.4
    Yes, I took a quick looked on the plug ins and extension page.

Thank you in advance.
    -JACK
    p.s. Firefox improved a lot on the latest releases. IMO it is faster and of course more secure than Internet Explorer (Ie).
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Is there a mod for the forum to add a spell check?

I added a spell check mod to the php on my s-10crewcab.com forum.

Spellbound is the first thing that comes up in a search.
    Last edited by HenryJ; 06-21-2006, 07:12PM.
    "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-mechanic from Mad Max-
    If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

HenryJ,

Good question. I did not check on that.

I was thinking more on the browser based solution so we can use it in any other site we visit.
      Moreover, once you start the mods upgrading the Forum gets more complicated.

I have been using the google bar. On Ie I use Iespell and the google bar. Iespell is much faster.

Thanks for the reply.
      -JACK

Comment

Originally posted by JackSilb
        ...once you start the mods upgrading the Forum gets more complicated.
        Agreed. Each time I update the software I must re-mod it. I try to keep the mods to a minimum for that very reason.
        A quick reply and spell check are the only mods I use for that reason. Actually only the vewtopic.php file needs to have mods added during an upgrade. The dictionary and template usually remain unchanged during a software update.

Sumthin' to think about.

I have not used the browser spell checks. Perhaps a bug in the ear of the mozilla developers would add one for a future release?
        "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-mechanic from Mad Max-
        - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

Yep, I don't get it. They already have a nice spell checker on Thunderbird. The code is there ...

-JACK

Comment

Just in case you have not done so, installing the google bar will give you spell check too. A kind slow depending the time of the day and your location, but you get one.

-JACK

Comment

Firefox 2.0 now has spell checking without add-on or google bar.
              At WhiteThaiger.net: Trip Galleries **** OziExplorer related **** Srisuda's Food

Comment

The spell check is a great enhancement.

I see that there is no updated version of the Faster Firefox extension. As a poor dial-up user , that really did help performance.

You can alter the program yourself to enhance performance:

Faster FireFox no longer works, so you will have to make the changes yourself:

1. Type "about:config" into the address bar (no spaces) and hit Return. Scroll down and look for the following entries:
                --network.http.pipelining
                --network.http.proxy.pipelining
                --network.http.pipelining.maxrequests

Normally the browser will make one request at a time to a Web page. When you enable pipelining, the browser will make several at once, which really speeds up page loading.

2. Alter the entries as follows:
                Set "network.http.pipelining" to "true"
                Set "network.http.proxy.pipelining" to "true"
                Set "network.http.pipelining.maxrequests" to some number like 30. (This tells the browser to make 30 requests at once.)

3. Lastly, right-click anywhere and select New-> Integer. Name it "nglayout.initialpaint.delay" and set its value to "0". This value is the amount of time the browser waits before acting on received information.
                - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Comment

FireFox 2.0 is out.

Spelling checker is working great. It seems that now it check as you type once you check the first time.

Inline spell checking: A new built-in spell checker enables users to quickly check the spelling of text entered into Web forms (like this one) without having to use a separate application.
                  -JACK
                  Last edited by JackSilb; 10-30-2006, 03:13PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X