No announcement yet.

What photography book do you recommend?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What photography book do you recommend?

Hello,

It has been a while since I did some reading about photography.
    Any book you recommend? Anything different when using digital cameras?

Thanks,
    -JACK
    Last edited by JackSilb; 03-10-2006, 11:20PM.
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Any particular sorts of photography or general photo skills? FWIW, currently I'm reading John Shaw 'Landscape Photography' and John Szarkowski 'Ansel Adams at 100'.
    '91 Toyota RN110 (Imelda the Hot Rod Hilux)
    '92 WilderNest Adventure Camper

Comment

I like Photographing the Landscape: The Art of Seeing by John Fielder

Corps of Discovery 4x4
      '97 Toyota T100 ~ Four Wheel Camper

Comment

Keep them coming. I will have some coffee at Borders soon to browse some from you list if they have them.

Nothing in special, just would like to improve my technique. General photo skills I would say.

Thanks!
        -JACK

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD tosee and do more.
        Tread Lightly! empowers generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly...
        http://www.4wdtrips.net

Comment

'The Art of Adventure Photography' by Galen Rowell.

'American Vision: Images by the Best of Today's Amateur Nature Photographers' edited by Bill Fortney
          '91 Toyota RN110 (Imelda the Hot Rod Hilux)
          '92 WilderNest Adventure Camper

Comment

Thank you!

-JACK

Comment

This seems to be a good tech book for the kind of things we do. It seems to cheap. I would expect it to cost more.

John Shaw's Nature Photography Field Guide (Paperback)
              by John Shaw

(54 customer reviews)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
              List Price: $24.95
              Price: $15.72 and eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25. See details
              You Save: $9.23 (37%)

Availability: Usually ships within 24 hours. Ships from and sold by Amazon.com.

Want it delivered Thursday, August 25? Order it in the next 16 hours and 56 minutes, and choose One-Day Shipping at checkout. See details

60 used & new available from $13.98

Comment

Got this book by John Shawn. It is very nice! It will teach me a lot.

(54 customer reviews)
                Thanks for the pointer.

-JACK

Attached Files

Comment

I have enjoyed outdoor photographer magazine for years with good success. I would also recommend attending a class by your local CC, as they will have a series of exercises designed to force application of technique (framing, composition, detail, etc.)

The only photography books I have purchased are the Ansel Adams series... (thought they are more applicable to dark room technique, and I recently sold my dark room equipment)

Scott Brady
                  Tread Lightly, Master Tread Trainer
                  Expedition's West
                  mailto:guide@expeditionswest.com

New Expedition Community Website
                  Scott Brady

Overland Journal
                  Expeditions West

Comment

what do you want to learn?

Comment

Justin Myers said...
                      what do you want to learn?
                      To compose better digital photos.
                      Take a look at Darren, yours,and other pictures you guys post here.

Jack You guys

I have been learning from the books I got. See above. Never had the idea of the exposure as Ihave now. It makes lots of sense. Now I know why on my snow pictures, the snow is not really white...
                      The camera is working just fine.

-JACK

Post Edited (JackSilb) : 10/23/2005 9:11:08 PM (GMT-8)

Comment

Scott Brady said...

I have enjoyed outdoor photographer magazine for years with good success. I would also recommend attending a class by your local CC, as they will have a series of exercises designed to force application of technique (framing, composition, detail, etc.)

The only photography books I have purchased are the Ansel Adams series... (thought they are more applicable to dark room technique, and I recently sold my dark room equipment)

Local CC?,or SC that I am thinking about?

Good idea on the practical class.

-JACK

Comment

Scott,

What class is the one you are recommending?
                          CC?

-JACK

Comment

Jack,

It sounds like you're beyond this level but I figure I'll put the information out there. It's great for a beginner, I used it and it helped me take my first manual exposure when I got my digital rebel last march. Well, I can't really say it's good unless my pictures are good I guess you can be the judge of that

Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson
                            Mark Lachica
                            2002 Toyota Tacoma DC TRD

Comment

All helps. Just need to manage to catch-up on all my readings.
                              Thanks for the info.

-JACK

Comment

Working...
                              X