No announcement yet.

Is there anyone out there?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think a lot of former regulars in the old days here and at other forums I participate in found Facebook and hang out there. I don’t do Facebook or the other social media sites. I’ve followed links into Facebook, but refuse to sign up. I’m old fashioned and still like the old forums.
    David A. Wright
    Happy Trails to you, until we meet again ~ Roy Rogers and Dale Evans

Comment

Pretty cool to read the recent check-ins from you guys :) I'm still alive and kicking... just not on any forums for quite some time now. I still have my old Tacoma (the Bajataco) who just turned 21 years old a couple months ago. Almost 255K miles now. Deferred maintenance has caught up to me and I'm slowly getting it back in shape for some more trips.
      BAJATACO.COM
      Toyota light expedition vehicle
      Adventure reports
      Lots of Photos

Comment

Originally posted by BajaTaco View Post
        .... Almost 255K miles now. ....
        It has been a while! 255K miles is a lot of miles. I don't keep up with new 4x4 vehicles much, so I just saw something about the new Jeep pickup and it sounds pretty nice. Wonder what that will cost? I'm not going to run out and get one though; my 03 Tacoma does what I need to do and at the current rate, I won't be driving the backroads long enough to get to 255K miles!
        Alan

Comment

Yeah, I think so many of us who have been here for eons, are still out exploring, and going to many of the places we all love. Like Afton Canyon, or Panamint Springs, or maybe even up to Cerro Gordo, which now it is a private company. It is desert time for exploring when it is cooler, but remember that it is also quite COLD up in them thar hills !!

Click image for larger version

Name:	GEDC0576 (640x480).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	231.6 KB
ID:	89145

Name:	GEDC0327.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	89146

Comment

I still drive daily my 2002 Tacoma TRD. Still looks and drives well. It doesn’t get the bedrock off roading it did when I lived in the Eastern Sierra, but still gets plenty of 4x4 time. Still burning the original headlight bulbs (so far only 1 taillight bulb has been replaced), it just got its second set of spark plugs, the AC still blows cold in summer, still on its original clutch. It is on its fourth battery (3rd replaced in October under warranty), 4th set of tires. 173,400 miles. Still never check oil between changes. Doesn’t burn or leak it, never gets the oil dirty. I think I got my money’s worth 16.5 years ago.
            David A. Wright

Comment

Some names are familiar (esp BajaTaco), just wish my memory was better...Or at least be able to check out the old stuff to refresh it. Most of it's gone (talking about other sites, like zr2.com).

Comment

Originally posted by alanh View Post
                Pretty pathetic for a retired guy who had all those plans.
                I feel your pain, man. I retired in July 2016 and haven’t gone anywhere.
                David A. Wright

Comment

I was chatting with Jack and he suggested a Zoom meeting with 4WDtrips friends. After this weird year most are probably setup for it and used to it. Let's throw a possible date out: Sunday Jan 10th?
                  At WhiteThaiger.net: Trip Galleries **** OziExplorer related **** Srisuda's Food

Comment

I'm troubleshooting a portable humidfier and decided to see if anything was going on here while I'm waiting for it to run awhile. Not sure what the problem was but it seems to be working now - at least the % humidity numbers are going up. Anyway, Jan 10th works for me so I put the proposed time on Jan 10th from the other thread in my calendar. Gotta check, but I think I accounted for the 1 hr time difference here. Would love to hear what anyone else has been doing the last few years.
                    Alan

Comment

Hey fellows, on the top of full time work for Abbott Diabetes Care (traveled a lot until COVID-19 March 2020). I am a robotics Lecturer at UCSD. Teaching intro to autonomous vehicles. Back to lots of robotics fun during the last years.
                      • Still living in San Diego
                      • "kids" growing. Two out of college already one just go in this year
                      The TLC and 4Runner are gone. Eric don't forgive me for that. But the boss told me I was not giving them the love and attention they needed. I had to sell them.
                      Long story short why the trucks got neglected, Eric is a tennis player, became DI this year. As you know it takes 10 years to build a tennis player, every weekend and sometimes the whole week we were in tournaments. I got a Toyota corolla just to drive him around, I think it may have 200K miles already, still going strong. Eric calls in Crapola. It is used for the dog beach day these days.
                      Did not have time for camping...

I will be looking for a Tacoma 4x4 off-road (locker) double cab soon, if any of you want to sell one or knows someone that may want to find a nice home for one, just let me know.

Let's get together on Dec 10 online to catch-up

Take care,
                      -Jack
                      So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
                      Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Comment

Hi guys! Wow... that's quite an update, Jack. So sorry to hear about the TLC and 4Runner. Wait... what? Eric is driving?? How old am I? Oh my...
                        Those are some great accomplishments, though! Congratulations! I am up for an online meeting for sure. I miss you guys. I think from Uwe said above, you meant Jan 10, not Dec 10, eh? Sign me up! We have some catching up to do.
                        BAJATACO.COM
                        Toyota light expedition vehicle
                        Adventure reports
                        Lots of Photos

Comment

I’ve been retired since July, 2016. A few months later, I moved my parents up to Winnemucca from their 5-acres near Joshua Tree as their independence was coming to an end. My father died in February at 93, Mom’s still living alone in a nice senior apartment, active and healthy at 90.

After more than 17 years since buying it new, I gave my trusty 2002 Tacoma TRD to my son and grandson in July, 2019 and I purchased a lightly used 2018 4Runner.

I am very happy with the 4Runner. The Tacoma had nearly 200,000 trouble free miles, still running the original clutch, headlight bulbs and AC system. I still wanted the towing and off road capability of the Tacoma and the 4Runner has filled the need very well. Shortly after I bought the 4Runner, I got rid of the lightly used OEM tires and had a set of BFG All Terrain T/A KO2s spooned on. It’s far roomier than the Tacoma, far quieter on the road, rides nice with its rear coil suspension.
                          Last edited by David A. Wright; 01-02-2021, 06:13PM.
                          David A. Wright

Comment

Yes !!
                            SOME of us are still wheelin, and I even had to re-register to be able to post, so no longer called "Cooksterdog", now slickrock steve
                            The Hi-N-Lo Desert Runners are still a viable source, but most folks have migrated to FB ( GRRRRR)
                            Dave Franz, Bill Franz, and even a few more are still going out to the ElPaso Mtns near Randsburg for our camping and exploring.
                            Also up to Bishop for fishing, and out to Panamint, and Ballarat for longer times.
                            I'll be checking back often so don't forget us !

Name:	just a ride with a few friends.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	269.2 KB
ID:	100713

Comment

Well....the Hi-n-lo annual trip to the El Paso mtns near Randsburg will be on February 26 to 28th
                              We usually go to the Holland camp site,. and will do so again this year. It is very primitive, but we always find the trip a fun one.
                              From Holland, to EP-15 and across to Red Rock Cyn State park, is a very beautiful and not too challenging one.
                              We also hold a charity Poker Run out here annually, for Veteran, and retired service members like "Wounded Warriors", and
                              LT Dan's organization. The campout is open to all, and we will probably lead a couple of runs to explore and enjoy some of the
                              places like "Last Chance", and Bonanza Gulch, as well as possibly the Talc mine. Respond to Mojavedave1@yahoo.com

Comment

Name:	13709963_704405556365154_295814579514158285_n.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	100716

Comment

Working...
                                X