Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big Rig - Avi's Unicat

Starting Member

Default Big Rig - Avi's Unicat

This is a 2006 factory International 7400 4X4 extended cab. The spec sheet can be viewed at: http://www.unicatamericas.com/vehicl...rnational.html

It took approximately one year to design and build the vehicle in Germany at a cost of $600,000. Expensive - yes! Worth it - every penny!

Having traveled in this vehicle in Africa, Europe, Mexico and the US, I can vouch for the fact that there's no better way to experience travel off the beaten path.

Attachment 8664

Attachment 8665Attachment 8666

Freshmen Member

Hello Avi,
    Great rig. I am always amazed at Unicat and the vehicles they build. I am glad you got to travel in some great places already. Do you have any big trips planned for the future? Also what size tire and rim are you running on your truck? I would like to change to a single wheel set up, but have not figured out yet what to use. Glad to have you join the guys with the out of the ordinary campers.
    Have a great day, Swen.

Default Glad you joined us Avi!

I have had the pleasure of spending a couple of days with Avi & his wife. NEAT FOLKS!

I have to hand it to Avi. He really "lifted the bar" by having an International custom built then shipping it to the benchmark adventure truck builder...Unicat in Germany. I have inspected his truck with a fine tooth comb and it is nothing short of incredible! The Unicat's workmanship (just like with Charlie's U500) is "over the top" good.

Since Avi is being his usual humble self. I'll say it...

Avi is the Unicat representive for the Americas.

Here are a few more pictures of Avi's truck:

Last edited by Joaquin Suave; 08-30-2010 at 10:19AM.

http://www.overlandhardware.com/
    Arroyo Grande, Alta California
    Rancho Oceano, Baja California Norte

Starting Member

Hi Swen,

As soon as finances permit I would like to embark on a five-year circumnavigation. The plan is to drive to the tip of South America and then ship the Unicat to Australia and New Zealand. After that, ship the vehicle to Southeast Asia, India, China, Mongolia and Tibet if possible. I hope to then drive West in a way that avoids the war-torn areas of Asia and the Middle East. After driving through Turkey, Eastern, Northern and Western Europe, cross to Africa at Gibraltar and zigzag my way to South Africa. Finally, ship the vehicle to Halifax and travel through Canada and Alaska before heading back to California. I hope I can convince my wife to join me for most of the trip - her condition is that I agree to fly her home every six weeks. I hope to find volunteers to join me for parts of the trip that she doesn't wish to participate in.

I run Alcoa 22.5" alloys with Michelin XZL 445/65R22.5 but plan on switching to Michelin 395/85 R20 on two or three piece rims. Charlie Aarons and I learned the hard way, while traveling through Morocco, that it's vitally important to be able to repair tires in the field.

What is your schedule for completing your rig?

Best wishes,

Avi

Starting Member

Hi Jack,

Thank you for the kind words.

I hope our community grows to a point where we can link up and travel together to places where others fear to tread.

Avi

With kind regards

Hi,

her condition is that I agree to fly her home every six weeks. I hope to find volunteers to join me for parts of the trip that she doesn't wish to participate in.
    Ask her if she agrees to the option that the volunteers are ~20 years old, FEMALE, not necessarily blond but "Baywatch"-style appreciated, nympho the right bit, ....
    Either she agrees to join you the full distance or you have drawn the jolly joker! :-))))

Sorry, hope you don't misunderstand it, I am currently in the process of getting devorced, so my perspective may be a little bit cynical sometimes!

Freshmen Member

Hi Avi,
    Sounds like a great trip you have planned. I want to volunteer myself to be part of that trip. I can't believe she would want to go home every six weeks. I think that might be just the time that you realize you are on a trip and have relaxed enough to really enjoy yourself and start rolling with anything that will or can happen. That is when you have achieved the change from a vacationer to a world traveller.

Thanks for the tire info. Have you looked into the HEMMT or is it HEMMET wheels from the military. I know they are 10"x20" two piece rims and use ten bolts like a butt style wheel. I can't find any info on the spacing and offset. If those would fit they would be my first choice to replace my wheels.

I am not sure on the schedule of finishing my rig. You can see my struggles in my thread with all the different ideas. I wish I could just give it to Unicat and work there magic.

Swen

Freshmen Member

Quote Originally Posted by JoeG View Post
    Hi,

Ask her if she agrees to the option that the volunteers are ~20 years old, FEMALE, not necessarily blond but "Baywatch"-style appreciated, nympho the right bit, ....
    Either she agrees to join you the full distance or you have drawn the jolly joker! :-))))

Sorry, hope you don't misunderstand it, I am currently in the process of getting devorced, so my perspective may be a little bit cynical sometimes!
    That might get old after a week after you figure out the high maintenance the girl is. You probably just leave her at the gas station rest room and drive as fast as you can.

Swen

oops! double post..
    Last edited by Joaquin Suave; 09-04-2010 at 09:38PM.

Default OK you guys!

Originally Posted by JoeG
    Hi,

That might get old after a week after you figure out the high maintenance the girl is. You probably just leave her at the gas station rest room and drive as fast as you can.

Swen
    Be carefull of what you wish for!!!

Sometime when we are sittng around a fire, I'll share with you the 3 weeks that i spent down at "Rancho Oceano" at the end of 2006! as close to a forum letter (penthouse NOT all wheel drive) as I've ever experienced!
    YES! There are adventure nymphs out there!