Thread: Mojave Preserve 7/18-19/2009

Default Mojave Preserve 7/18-19/2009

When the desert calls, you have to go. Mr. S and I decided to brave the predicted temps of 117 degrees in Baker and head out that way to wander around in the Mojave Preserve. We left the I-15 pavement on Halloran Road at Yucca Grove (now permanently closed down) and headed toward Halloran Springs. Our plan was to visit a few mines and just explore what there was to see while working our way south to some higher elevations for the night. Mr. S has been exploring the preserve for many years, but managed to find a new place or two. I saw a lot of territory for the first time. On Saturday, we explored around the Hartman and Standard mines and then headed south past the Valley View Ranch again toward the Kelso Cima Road. Our plans changed when there was a very long train blocking our access to the area around Burro Springs, so we headed further south and checked out the Mid Hills Campground. It was open for business with about a half dozen campers, but it really shows the effect of the fires. All the facilities have been rebuilt, but it will be a long time before the area recovers. We kept going to a spot that Mr. S knew about to the southeast and camped on a hill overlooking the valley to the west, the Kelso Cima Road, and the railroad tracks in the distance. The altitude of the camp was just over 5600 ft, and it cooled off quickly after sunset. We made an early camp and enjoyed the talk and the scenery as the sun went down. The temps dropped to a very mild and breezy low 70s after sunset and it was great sleeping weather. We watched the crystal clear Milky Way overhead and the thunderstorms on the horizon. The lightning strikes to the north and east put on quite a light show. On Sunday, we continued our journey southward in a little more humid weather. I had never been to Hole in the Wall, so I got a guided tour of the canyon. Very interesting and unusual place -- I'll be going back to do some hiking when the weather cools down. We spent a while exploring the Bonanza King Mine and the nearby area. Still quite a bit of machinery and equipment around the mine and someone has spent some time cleaning up the remaining room of one of the mine buildings nearby. There was a building with very elaborate stonework to the south of the mine where we figured the mining community would be. Very interesting area -- I'll need to do some research and go back again so I can understand the history of what we saw. On the way to I-40, we explored some side trails south of the Colton Hills and found some potential campsites that are off the beaten path in a scenic area that didn't seem to get many visitors. The temperatures weren't a problem, the camp was great, and the Mojave Preserve was beautiful -- and, best of all, we had it mostly to ourselves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1195.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	61.0 KB 
ID:	7982   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1202.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	78.0 KB 
ID:	7983   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1209.JPG 
Views:	107 
Size:	70.8 KB 
ID:	7984   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1232.JPG 
Views:	99 
Size:	18.0 KB 
ID:	7985   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1248.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	66.1 KB 
ID:	7986  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1259.JPG 
Views:	102 
Size:	71.2 KB 
ID:	7987   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1274.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	7988   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1284.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	70.1 KB 
ID:	7989   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1293.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	85.7 KB 
ID:	7990   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1297.JPG 
Views:	100 
Size:	54.9 KB 
ID:	7991  

Last edited by Michael; 07-27-2009 at 09:46PM.
    "Semper Gumby" -- Always flexible!

Looks like another good one. We have some good memories from some of the places you explored. Some day we'll see some of the others.
    At WhiteThaiger.net: Trip Galleries **** OziExplorer related **** Srisuda's Food

I like Michaelís write-up, I canít think of anything to add, except a few pics.

Name:	MPeye.JPG 
Views:	86 
Size:	314.9 KB 
ID:	7992   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPrab.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	7993   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPtank.JPG 
Views:	80 
Size:	282.1 KB 
ID:	7994  

Here are 3 more. 1st is one fat & happy local , 2nd is a neat clean east facing shack with a spectacular view, and the last one is my truck at camp, at first light.

Name:	MPliz.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	232.4 KB 
ID:	7995   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPshk.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	7996   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MPtrkCmp.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	170.8 KB 
ID:	7997  

Graduate Member

With those ears, if that rabbit could manage the muscle coordination to flap them properly, it could probably fly!
    Alan

Quote Originally Posted by alanh View Post
    With those ears, that rabbit ..could probably fly!