Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camping Lab Awning

LexusAllTerrain LexusAllTerrain's Avatar

Default Camping Lab Awning

I did some shopping on a Awning for my lexus LX-450, and I narrow it to ARB's awning and Camping Lab, 349.00 vs 200.00.

Both seem to be very similar the main difference for me was the size!

Camping Lab dimmentions are as follows:

Campinglab expedition awnings are made of 300D polyester with PVC coating and aluminum structure. All joints are high resistance plastic and all bolts are galvanized.
    Our expedition awnings cover an area of 85"X79" and can be set as high as 83" on the poles side.
    Campinglab awnings come with a very sturdy aluminum extrusion on the back which makes it very easy to attach the awning to any roof rack or even load bar ends.
    Our awnings weight 22 pounds and fold into a 7"X4"X83" protective cover which closes with a heavy zipper keeping the awning clean and dust free regardless of conditions.
    Campinglab expedition awnings have 2 adjustable guylines and 4 heavy duty " galvanized steel stakes which hold everything in place even under moderate winds.

ARB Touring Awning:

96"x78"

26lbs.

Comes in a neat PVC bag

Quick to erect and put down

Self standing

30 seconds to deploy

Unique mounting extrusion allows for easy installation

Mounts directly to the side of most roof racks or roof bars

Made from cotton / poly ripstop - waterproof &
    100% UV protection

Rope track design facilitates attachment of optional mosquito net

Bag made from heavy duty reinforced PVC

Comes with pegs & guide ropes for securing legs, mounting nuts and bolts, wrench and comprehensive instructions

The measurements on my Lexus from the front of the rain gutter to the rear is 85" which the Camping Labs awning seems to blend in much better!

I will be placing an order this coming week and will test on the El golfo de Santa Clara weekend next month!
    97' Lexus LX-450( Mall Cruiser...noT)Hankook Dynapro M/T 295/75-16'' IPF 900's, Odyssey Battery, 2.5" Old Man Emu Medium Suspension, ARB Roof Rack Half Size,Safari Snorkel, ARB Front Bumper,Camping Lab Awning, Warn 8000 Winch.

97' Venturcraft Trailblazer Camper,Lexus LX-450 wheels, 32"-9.5"-16" Hankook Dynapro M/T.Honda Generator.

http://lexusallterrain.smugmug.com/

Wow,

Someone did good homework.

I primary got mine for the cost and part of a package with CampingLab. I don't use it that much to be too much worry about long life. I believe Fernando will be able to send us replacement parts if needed.

I need to find a way to attach it to my roof rack. Since you have a similar setup, I can learn from you if you manager to install it before me.

-JACK
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

I have my Camping Lab Awning and I need to install it seems like it should be very easy I thought it came with the mounting brackets, but it only comes with some nuts and bolts.
    I will go to Lowe's this coming weekend and I hope to have it install early morning on this Sunday, I am thinking of getting some brackets galvanise from the plumbing section I hope they are weather friendly and would last at least a year!
    97' Lexus LX-450( Mall Cruiser...noT)Hankook Dynapro M/T 295/75-16'' IPF 900's, Odyssey Battery, 2.5" Old Man Emu Medium Suspension, ARB Roof Rack Half Size,Safari Snorkel, ARB Front Bumper,Camping Lab Awning, Warn 8000 Winch.

97' Venturcraft Trailblazer Camper,Lexus LX-450 wheels, 32"-9.5"-16" Hankook Dynapro M/T.Honda Generator.

I will follow your progress. When you have a chance, send some pics and material list.

-JACK

I will finish my little project tomorrow, it seems like I will be using Galvanized Steel Pipe Strap one and one quarter 1 1/4 " ips from Lowe's 1.50 dollars in a 4 per pkg I do not know if it will hold, but will finish Sunday and will post pictures.
    It is very easy once you know the right size, however I had some difficulty with lining the top bolt to make it a tight fit!

Here are some pictures of the mounting Campinl Lab to ARB Roof Rack

Here is a picture of the Awning mounted on vehicle

and some more.

Since I was not too confident driving around with the clamps that I bought at Lowe's for 1.50 I decided to call Fernando and ask him what he recommended to mount the Camping Lag Awning to the ARB Roof Rack, I also contacted ARB to get a copy of their mounting kit for their Awning, both items seem very similar so I bought the one that Fernando recommended, price was the same for both units!

Here is a picture of the brackets with U joints!

Avery sturdy item and ready to mount!

I will paint black and install, side view !

Any pictures after the final mount?
    No need to say I have not installed mine yet.

Where did you get the U joints with the cross aluminum flat parts? From Fernando?
    -JACK

How do you like your setup so far?
    Field trials?

-JACK

Graduate Member

Where did you get the U joints with the cross aluminum flat parts? From Fernando?
    Jack,

If you mean the u-BOLTS in the pics from 6/30/08, those should be standard hardware store items available in plated steel or stainless steel.

Alan
    Alan