Thread: 2000 OBS Chevy Tahoe Expedition Vehicle

Z71 Tahoe

Default 2000 OBS Chevy Tahoe Expedition Vehicle

I have a 2000 OBS Z71 Tahoe that I'm going to be making into a Expedition/Backcountry Camping rig. I know that it is not the ideal vehicle for this but it's what I have, it's paid for, and it is able to haul the five of us and all of our gear, and my boat. I'm planning a list of mods. I've already built a safari roofrack to mount my tent hi lift jack, recovery bag, shovel, and store other lightweight gear. I have also installed a CB in the truck. I'm going to do a 1" Torsion Bar crank and 0 rate add a leaf rear. The truck came with Bilsteins and they are still in good shape so I'm going to try and use them a while longer. It has a stock G80 locker and 3.73 gears. I want to run 255/85/16 BFG MTs or Bighorns on the stock 16x7 aluminum wheels and if I need more clearance I'll use a 1-2" body lift. Just want it tall enough to clear the tires. I want to build a custom rear bumper/tire carrier with recovery capability and move the hitch up level with the frame rails. I would like to build a hidden winch mount for the front and use the factory bumper over it (fairlead in the license plate area). Don't know if I need it but at least I'll have it. Throw in some rock sliders and I think it would be in pretty good shape. I'm looking to you to bounce my plans off of. As with all projects this is going to be a work in progress and will have to be built in steps. I'm looking at 2 to 2.5 rated trails with the occational 3 from time to time. I think that I can free up about another 1-2" or so of travel from the front end using BJ flip and low profile droop stops. I'm making rear sway bar discos (there is a lot more travel back there than I thought). Looking at my plans do you see anything that I should add or delete? I want to keep it as light as possible since it's already a moose. Anything that I don't really need could be deleted.

I think you will be able to build a very capable vehicle from that platform.
    the Z71 package doesn't add much , IIRC. The Bilsteins are a good shock and will serve well for years to come.
    Did you get the aluminum shield package? If not , scour the salvage yards for them. Those would be first on my list.

Look into the sway bar disconnects seriously. Disconnecting the front is a huge help offroad. Consider removing the rear and living without it.

Here is what I did for a front hitch: Front hidden and rear 2" receiver hitches. It might give you some ideas.
    Check the link in my signature for my truck. It might give you some more ideas. It seems your plan of attack is close to mine.
    "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-mechanic from Mad Max-
    If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Z71 Tahoe

The Z71 came with the 3.73, G80, skidplates, 265/75/16s and Billsteins. The rest is cosmetics and interior.

I like the idea of the reciever winch mount. Yours is a very clean install. I'm just concerned about being able to get to the pin when I'm stuck. It does give a lot of flexibility though.

Front swaybar disconnects are going to be tough but I'm sure I can figure something out. The rear helps out a ton when I'm towing heavy about two times a year, so I don't want to ditch it completly.

Quote Originally Posted by mcps_190 View Post
    ... just concerned about being able to get to the pin when I'm stuck.
    I am hoping that the winch is mounted on the correct end IF I get stuck. If I am in past the front license plate, I am in too deep. Otherwise the pin should be accessible if needed.
    "Speed is just a matter of Money - How fast do YOU want to go?"-mechanic from Mad Max-
    If at first you don't succeed - Don't take up Skydiving!
    - BLT Offroad KE7CSK

Quote Originally Posted by mcps_190 View Post

I have a 2000 OBS Z71 Tahoe ....

I'm looking to you to bounce my plans off of.
    Hi and welcome aboard. I like seeing full size rigs showing up.

My main off pavement rig is a 01 Tacoma, but I also have a 94 K-Blazer. Itís seen some 4x use, and I think someday Iíd like to build it into my primary exploring rig, but thatís another story.

Since you plan sliders and a ďbuild a custom rear bumperĒ, why stick with the stock front bumper? My 94 has a good sturdy front bumper (I donít know what a 2000 has) but I would want a better front jack/lift point. A good aftermarket winch bumper might be a good choice.

Iíve never been a big fan of the G80, but some people like them. Have you considered a manual locker? I replaced a G80 with an air locker and found that very helpful.

What OBS?

Have fun and keep us posted with your upgrades, and feel free to bounce around any plans.

Z71 Tahoe

The truck is a 2000 OBS Tahoe Z71

As far as the front bumper I would like to build a strong we'll call it an underbumper to mount the winch recovery hooks, but don't need to adress the cosmetics. All of the aftermarket bumpers are huge and heavy. Let's face it the trucks a moose and I don't want to add anymore weight to it.

The rear bumper is going to be some of the same heavy underbumper with the swingaway and recovery hooks coming through the bumper kind of like the old K style military stuff.

G80, for a 10bolt espescially is crap strengthwise but mine is actually pretty tight. Eventually I want to go 14bolt SF 6 lug and run a Detroit or maybe an OX but I'm not ready for that yet so I'm going to use it as long as I can until the swap. If it breaks the swap comes earlier

Like I said I love the idea of bombproof bumpers front and rear but bombproof means heavy and she has got plenty of girth already.

Thanks for the feedback

Z71 Tahoe

Default Tahoe Inspiration

I've been lurking around the internet again and I found a great photo gallery. It's from a truck accessory/outfitting company in GA. They have an awesome Tahoe exactly like mine that they have done a bunch of work too. It's a little tall for what I have in mind but it's a great looking/working truck none the less. They also have some other great looking trucks that you might enjoy.

http://www.waldenphotos.com/gallery/

Their wesite for their business and their photography is:

http://www.waldenoutfitting.com/

Enjoy

Starting Member www.waldenoutfitting.com's Avatar

Sooo, I see you found my Tahoe! Thanks for the "Props". I can understand not wanting to go extreme with the lift. I raised the torsion 2" in the front and added 1" lifting blocks to the rear to clear 285/75/16 BFG All-Terrains mounted to the factory wheels. This gave me the 2" suspension lift that I wanted for mild off-road trips and definitely didn't hurt the way it stood beside other Tahoes at Traffic lights either, Haha. These IFS Chevy SUV's can take the slightly more stiffened ride for the added body role they have over a pick-up. Thus, making a better handling SUV if the torsion is raised and you have lots of gear on top . As for the weight of the winch bumper... Don't let that deter you from adding a heavy duty front winch bumper. The stiffened torsion compensates for the sag (maybe 1") and the weight of the bumper gives it back its road presence/handling. Usually railroad tracks at high speeds are the only driving condition a difference can be felt in the raised torsion and adjusting tire pressure a little can can remedy that as well. But lets talk Crazy! I drive this Tahoe to Colorado, Wyoming, and Utah every year. It has rock crawled in Moab (yes there was sheet metal dammage) been over Imo Gene Pass form Ouray to Telluride (which I believe is a 8 or 9 on the "Jeep Jamboree" scale of difficulty) and all through Tellico's rock gardens / mud holes in the Southeastern United states, And still rides better with 6" of suspension lift (turned up to 8") than it did stock! Most of this is credited to Superlift; the only Suspension lift manufacturer that allows you to retain your factory CV axles and steering geometry on the older IFS Chevrolet ( Thus, not widening out the front track width ). The Superlift system also allows you to keep your factory ( limited production ) Z71 Tahoe wheels. As oppossed to "replacement knuckle system" lifts like Pro-Comp, Fabtech, RCD, etc. I only lifted my tahoe because it rolled over 100,000 miles and my business / customer base demands I have a lifted vehicle for sale inquiries. After lifting it I wished I had done it at 20,000 miles. It drives really well and is one hell-of-a head turner! The only draw back is the wear on the front tires from the excesive weight. I haven't went through any Bushings, endlinks, or balljoints at all! Let me know if you ever have any questions in the world of aftermarket add-ons. From bugshields to the most extreme of suspension lifts, I would be more than happy to help and earn your business. Thanks again! -Travis Walden