Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bear Country

When I venture to Alaska next year I'll have a Marlin 1895 Lever action. The lever action will be modified by Wild West Arms and will shoot the .457 (WW magnum)Alaskan. It will still be able to shoot the .45-70 government as well. The .457 Alaskan is equal to the 458 Winchester. Thats elephant gun boys! For a side arm I chose the Bowen Arms 475 Linbaugh (Black Hawk frame) As far as all this peper spray or bear spray well I have sprayed people from drunks to burglars and let me tell you sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt. If you read the contents of the Bear spray its almost the same as for humans. NO THANKS! Will I have some? Yes but I will also have my real Bear repellant as well LEAD. The chances of being attacked are pretty slim anyway but if there around then the chances go up. I'd rather shoot them with my camera from a very long distance. Still be prepared and dont do anything stupid. http://www.wildwestguns.com/

Going way outback and picking up other peoples garbage!

Post Edited (Going way Outback) : 6/6/2005 7:51:23 PM (GMT-8)

GWO,

This might be a little off topic but definitely related...how do you plan to take that "elephant gun" through Canada to Alaska? (nice gun btw...I'd like one too!!) My understanding is that Canada won't let you bring guns into the country anymore. Maybe others could throw some light on this also, i.e, if they know for certain or have had personal experience.

1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 31" BFG AT's, Flippac convertible camper shell, cargo bed built-in seats/cabinets,Deaver rear 10 pack leafsprings, Donahoe front 2.5" coilovers, Stubbs Sliders, ARB Bullbar, Hella 550 Fogs, rear frame reinforcement, custom top rack, 2rear bumper swingout gas can carriers, sway bar disconnects, CB& 2m radio, Optima Redtop, Concorde LifelineAGM auxillary battery, Coolmatic frig/freeze...that's enough...reminds me of all the money I've spent :-)
    '98 Xcab Taco 4x4 with Flippac, Deavers, Donahoes, Stubbs Sliders, ARB bumper/Warn M8000 winch, Coolmatic 50L fridge, CB & 2M radios
    www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/Vince_FlipPac/index.htm

also...re the pepper sprays...as I understand it, the Counter Assault spray (which was developed at the U of Montana and widely regarded as the best if you research) is a fogger type which goes 30 feet...the canisters for human deterrent shoot out a thin stream. Ergo, the problem with effectiveness in human application is that you have to be ACCURATE, i.e. you gotta hit the target with a good dose which often is difficult to do in high stress active situation...that's why you hear of varied effectiveness. Counter Assault is the only fogger type that goes 30 feet, othersgo 10-20 feet...TOO CLOSE FOR COMFORT! :-) Counter Assault also makes a practice cannister if you want more confidence inshooting the can...I believe the entire can ($36 retail at REI) only lasts about 10 seconds.

just my .02 worth from recent research...I bought a can of Counter Assault recently...but I must confess I was thinking of other applications :-)

1998 Toyota Tacoma 4x4, 31" BFG AT's, Flippac convertible camper shell, cargo bed built-in seats/cabinets,Deaver rear 10 pack leafsprings, Donahoe front 2.5" coilovers, Stubbs Sliders, ARB Bullbar, Hella 550 Fogs, rear frame reinforcement, custom top rack, 2rear bumper swingout gas can carriers, sway bar disconnects, CB& 2m radio, Optima Redtop, Concorde LifelineAGM auxillary battery, Coolmatic frig/freeze...that's enough...reminds me of all the money I've spent :-)
    '98 Xcab Taco 4x4 with Flippac, Deavers, Donahoes, Stubbs Sliders, ARB bumper/Warn M8000 winch, Coolmatic 50L fridge, CB & 2M radios
    www.bajataco.com/vikingvince/Vince_FlipPac/index.htm

Jonathan Hanson said...
    I love that first photo of the marten. I had no idea they got that far south, but looking at my Peterson I see the little finger of range down into New Mexico. I'll have to ask my friend who lives near the Magdalenas if he's ever seen any there. He and I have a plan to find a new farthest north specimen of a rock rattlesnake somewhere near his place.

I recommend a book, Degenhardt et al., if you are serious about herps in NM. There is also a paperback version out now as well that is a lot cheaper than the hard cover I linked.FromDegenhardton Crotalus lepidus: "The specimen collected at Water Canyon in the Magdalena Mountains and described by Cope (1883 [1884]) represents the northernmost locality for C. lepidus." If you finda lepidus there, get a photo and UTMs withthe datum. I can get you in contact with the state herpetologist, the second author on the book linked above. They'd love more info on lepidus. Hell, emailme when you go, maybe I'll be free that weekend and I'll join you. I'm always up for a fun herping trip.

2004 Tacoma Extracab TRD
    2001 GMC Sonoma ZR2 (Sold at 153k miles)
    Please Tread Lightly
    KE5DNP

Starting Member

I have the Degenhardt--it's a great reference (I wrote 50 Common Reptiles and Amphibians of the Southwest for the Southwest Parks and Monuments Association). My friend and I want to jump one range north of the Mags and look there (can't remember the range at the moment). I'll certainly let you know when we put it together--the more of us looking the better!

1973 FJ40: 290,000 miles and still exploring.

VikingVince,
    Actually I had both pepper sprays. Fogger and stream. I never missed with either. The fogger has its place but the stream is better for a crowded enviroment. The fogger works great in more open spaces.

Hmm The last I knew you could take guns through Canada as long as you were going to Alaska. Some treaty we had with Canada. Of course I will get all current gun laws for each state before we leave.

Well after some brief checking I have found it is not illegal to bring firearms into Canada. Of course some firearms are not allowed but those are assualt type weapons and not the type I would bring anyway for this trip. Large Caliber weapons designed for bear protection are allowed but you have to pay a permit fee. Here are a few sites that have good info. http://www.gonorthwest.com/Visitor/p...der/border.htm
    http://www.cfc-ccaf.gc.ca/info_for-r.../visitin_e.asp

I will also have a specially built vault for my weapons and ammunition. This type of trip demands a good secure weapons storage.

Of courseyou need to check any firearms related laws for any state or country you ever plan to travel through. Saying Mike said it was legal will not hack it with any officials. But for now we know its legal. We just need more deatails "before" we leave since gun laws change every year in Canada.

Post Edited (Going way Outback) : 6/7/2005 9:38:51 AM (GMT-8)

Banned

just use a customs broker to import your gun(s) to canada. saves lots of time and trouble, and you can just pick them up when you cross, ship them before you leave.

Thanks Smoken! Thats the best idea I have heard.

Has anyone seenthis product?Bear Shock electric fence system. Would suck to carry on foot, but for car camping... hmmm...

LOL - Bummer for your dog (if u travel with one) or the friendly camp neighbor... ... or even yourself (picture middle of night... stumbling out to take a leak... )

BAJATACO.COM
    BAJATACO.COM
    Toyota light expedition vehicle
    Adventure reports
    Lots of Photos