Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Off-the-ground Camping for 4 - aka tired of the tent

Queen Elizabeths Revenge jim65wagon's Avatar

We use a SportzTentII, it works well but you have to unload the truck everytime to set it up.

2003 Toyota Tundra; 16x8 Wheelers Steel wheels; 265/75/16 BFG AT's; Truxedo cover; SSautochrome intake; extended diff breathers
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	GWNF trip 6.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	3422  
    2003 Tundra SR5 4x4

The175,000MileTundra

In keeping with the title of this thread, I have recently had some correspondence with a guy who wrote a good article on the subject (tired of the ground) and I linked to his article from my website.

BAJATACO.COM
    BAJATACO.COM
    Toyota light expedition vehicle
    Adventure reports
    Lots of Photos

Thanks Baja,

The more I see these setups the more I want a Tacoma. Maybe in one or two years I will be able to afford a platform to start something.
    I have not see the new generation Tacos being mod yet ...

-JACK

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD tosee and do more.
    Tread Lightly! empowers generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly...
    http://www.4wdtrips.net
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

I've never used one of these. but it's off of the ground and would probably be similiar to a roof-top as far as size goes...

http://froogle.google.com/froogle?q=...&lmode=unknown

I've looked at all of these camping trailers and they are just too expensive

I think lifting an old pop-up is a good idea. or starting new and building one for under $1000.
    Here are some cheap trailers and trailer parts

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...39+274279&Ne=2

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...Id=7262&R=7262

these would be cool accessories to it (and just run a bulk propane tank to them)

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Cons...dihotvent.html

http://www.zodi.com/web-content/Cons...velshower.html

I'll be buying the hot shower system ($109 at BassProShops), I'll post a review soon.

I can personally vouch for Adventure Trailers quality and in particular Mario's customer sevice and attention to detail.

He builds these trailers one at a time , they're quality 1st and foremost.

I've personally seen an adventure trailer on trails that would destroy a pop-up. You may never take your trailer on the rubicon or the Dusy but if your trailer's built to handle it you'll have that trailer for as long as you care to. Years of service is money well spent thats for sure

Im saving my nickles as we speak :)
    Last edited by JPzKJ; 03-03-2006 at 05:01PM.

Anybody here with experience on the new double TentCot? It continues to come to mind as a solution for a fast setup.
    -JACK

I'll be buying the hot shower system ($109 at BassProShops), I'll post a review soon.
    98Runner, did you have a chance to play with the shower. I so, please consider posting it in another Thread so we discuss. Baja got us a group buy for a unit that seems well built, not heated....

-JACK

Sophomore Member

I have a med./single tent cot that I always use and love it. It's a little low but I noticed the new domed design solves that problem.

I had a double tentcot that I gave to my friend. It was too big to use as a ground tent (too heavy and bulky) but he plans on a rooftop setup so I think it will work out perfectly. A cheaper, more roomy version of the Oasis rooftent.

The tentcot x2 is def. only a 2 person max.

tentcot.com
    oaisis-tents.com
    Last edited by cruiserhead; 03-05-2006 at 11:50AM.

Anybody experienced with the "new tent cots"?
    It seems that the double's weight is 42 pounds. Kind of heavy ...

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...outThisProduct

Product Description

The newly redesigned Double Tent Cot, brought to you by Kamp-Rite, the leader in off-the-ground camping gear, is an innovative advance in camping equipment. The Double Tent Cot is the next generation in product designed specifically with two people in mind.This new model now features a redesigned domed top. The additional 12" of headroom not only allows you to sit up inside the tent, but it also eliminates the problem of accumulated water if you are caught in the rain or snow. The self-contained Tent Cot puts you 11" over the insects, rodents and snakes. The Double Tent Cot, at 84" long, 53" wide and 36" high is extremely comfortable and roomy and supports up to 450 pounds. This model now comes standard with a 3/8" foam pad for added comfort and insulation against the elements. The powder coated light weight aluminum frame will not rust or corrode even under the worst weather conditions. All of our Tent Cots come standard with a heavy duty carrying case making it easy to handle while also protecting it during transport and storage. The Tent Cot folds down to a compact 53" x 32" x 7" and only weighs 42 pounds. All window and door openings have "No-See-Um" mesh screens, allowing you to enjoy the cool night air without the threat of mosquitoes. All openings utilize heavy-duty oversize #10 corrosion resistant nickel sliding zippers. They're easy to open and close and are color coded, with yellow mesh pulls on the inside of the tent and black mesh pulls on the outside flaps. All of our Tent Cots also convert into a flat cot or a lounge chair. The Tent Cot is a patented product. Check out our optional accessories.
    -JACK
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	B000BH2AZA.01._SS400_SCLZZZZZZZ_V56208199_.jpg 
Views:	123 
Size:	11.1 KB 
ID:	4847  
    Last edited by JackSilb; 09-12-2006 at 10:13PM.