Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Priority on Mods

> This is the thing about the CB.

> I have been in MANY groups where there have been one or two people who don't have a CB. As either the leader of these groups, or just a
    > participant, it is VERY ANNOYING to have to worry about weather or not the people who don't have a CB have the proper information. Is it time to
    > stop? Are you tired? Do you have to pee? Hows the gas situation? Gee, look at that neat bird flying overhead...etc.

Good points. I believed that we all assumed that a $50.00 CB was not in question. The CB should not be even considered a mod. Save on two dinners and you get one.

Not having a communication radio on-board is a pain. It can help you get help, bu I would not count on that. CB is so messy and people talk a lot over each other. Lots of noise and short distance in AM. If you run a good antenna and an amplifier then things get better. Then you will be talking about $300+

-JACK

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! empowers generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly...
    http://www.4wdtrips.net

Post Edited (JackSilb) : 7/6/2004 8:24:54 PM (GMT-8)

So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD tosee and do more.
    Tread Lightly! empowers generations to enjoy the outdoors responsibly...
    http://www.4wdtrips.net
    So much to see, so little time. Try using your 4WD to see and do more.
    Tread Lightly! Please, don't use the environment to enjoy your truck.

Starting Member

Smile

Looks like I'm resurecting a very old thread, but that's how I roll.

To answer Jack's original question "How would you answer the following question: 'I have a stock 4x4 and $2,000 to spend on mods. What should be the first things I buy? (in terms of personal safety, handling different offroad situations, and ensuring the protection of my vehicle) I think it would be interesting to hear different responses to this question."

I think this depends a lot on the rig and the driver. I tend to think of priority in the order of -Reliability first, Safety Seconds and then performance enhancements third.

Clearly a stock NEW 4x4 should be out of the box reliable, but if you start with an older used rig ( like a 1967) then upgrading wiring or installing fuel injection may be important to make your rig more reliable.

Once you've got a reliable rig, then safety would be the next priority. With a new rig and an inexperienced off road driver, then a class may be a very good idea. At the very least some books on off road driving and a repair manual for your rig would be a good idea. If you plan on getting into more risky situations a roll cage or upgraded brakes may be warranted.

Once you've got reliability and safety covered, then come the performance modifications. These are clearly dependent on the vehicle as well. I think improved traction through better tires, or a traction aiding device like a locker would come early on my list. If you have something like a new rubicon, that has tires and lockers, then I might just say add an ARB cooler and call it a day.
    Tom