Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fitting 285/75r16 MTR's on a Tacoma

Default Fitting 285/75r16 MTR's on a Tacoma

Ok guys and gals,

I now have 285/75r16 MTR's on my tacoma D-Cab truck.

I like them, but I will have to eventually regear.

The question you might ask (Taco Guys) is how do you prevent rubbing.

I hope you all can follow this collection of ramblings.

Try this only at your own risk, this is just my own acount for what I did.

My hardware before the tires:

1" RB body lift
    ARB bull bar.
    OME rear leafs, greasable shackles, shocks
    SAW's in front

I think the 1" BL is important to reduce rubbing. It lifts the body an additional 1" above where the bump stops limit your suspension articulation.

I think you could run these tires with only a 1" BL since under full compression your tire is stopped by the bump stops. A coilover/leaf spring lift by itself does not change your up travel. A BL is an easy way to increase clearance when the tire is all the way up. (I did not want to adjust the bump stops as that would reduce my articulation)

The ARB bullbar gave me better clearance of the tire on the front.

The OME rear leaf springs actually moved my rear axle forward by 3/4 inch. I measured my wheel base compared to a friends and mine was 3/4 inch less. This is bad. I was rubbing the front of my fender wells under full compression with stock 265/70r16's.

What I did to clear the 285/75r16's:

When we put the BL on, the entire truck body was slid backwards (unintentionally). I noticed that I was rubbing the fronts of my fender wells. This was partly due to the BL and partly due to the 3/4in forward location of the rear axle.

A friend machined some nice spring pin relocion blocks (per my drawing) that allowed me to move my rear axle back either 3/4" or 1". See attached drawing.

Since the 31" tires where rubbing and I was installing 33" tires, I installed the blocks such that the axle moved back 1". I had to re-drill my bomp stops ince the pin moved, but the U bolts didn't.

After the install, we looked at the tires and figured that we had made a mistake since the tires looked like they were too far aft.

During flexing, however, the rear tires move beautifully into the rear fender wells.

Since the Body is shifted a little aft, I clear the pinch weld on the front fenders. The fronttires barely rub the front and rear fender liners when the front tires are turned and I am on the bump stops. I can push the plastic clear of the tires with my fingers, so I am not rubbing hard....I may try to melt the plastic a little and push it clear of the tire or leave it since the amount of time I spend at full compression is not significant. This is significant to me since many tacoma owners have to pound the pinch weld with a hammer to get the tires to clear.

The ARB bumper clears beautifully.

Recap:

1" BL to gain clearance
    ARB in the front (or a cleared front bumper)
    Aft shifted body
    Axle shifted back 0.25" further than stock (1" shifted back on OME leaf springs).

Future work:

The tires rub the frame when I am reversing at full lock turning. I may try 0.25"wheel spacers to see if that helps (without causing more rubbingelsewhere).

I can't tell if the uper A-arm rubs at all yet. I will test that two. The wheel spacers maysolve this also. Right nowit looks clear.

I am not sure what will hapen when climbing....my axle may start moving forward or backwards under driving loads.

I am off to try a few more flexes to see if I can drive the tires into anything else. Pictures to come.

(Link Back to Ramdough's Main Mod Thread)

Post Edited (Ramdough) : 2/2/2005 6:29:55 PM (GMT-8)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails spring pin relocation plate.pdf  

OOPs

This should be under Mods probably.

Any administartors out there that can move this thread?

Life is an adventure! expeditionswest's Avatar

This is VERY good information. It is also nice to see you mention that it was the body lift that actually allowes you to fit the tires. So many people dont realize that a suspension lift does not allow you to fit bigger tires over the stock suspesion unless the bumpstops are relocated.

How difficult was the 1" BL to fit? I am most curious about the automatic trans linkage.

I found a prettygood write up on the double cab Delphi forum for the BL:

Scott Brady
    mailto:guide@expeditionswest.com
    http://www.expeditionswest.com

The Body lift was not that difficult. There were of course some parts where experience helped. A friend helped me do it.

You only need to extend the steering (optional really, but a good idea in my mind).

The automatic shift linkage just needs to be loosened and retightened (one person holding it centered on park while the other tightens the bolt).

Correction:

The rear tires do rub the back of the fender wells.......not so much that I can't live with it, but enough to maybe try the 3/4 position or machine 7/8" blocks.

This type of fine tuning is probably vehicle dependant since every tacoma is different.

Thanks for the write-up.

I've heard issues from some about the A/C pipe that runs thru the fire wall. Have you? I've looked at it, and it dosen't look like Toyota left much hose off the compressor for a BL.

No need to applaud, just throw money.

Very detailed and very interesting! Thanks for posting this info. As you mentioned, it seems that despite the repetition of factory assembly, there seems to be a varied spectrum of experiences and opinions on fitment of these tires on the Tacoma in this range of "lift". It will be good to know if you are able to dial it in and make it work with only the 1" BL. Sounds like you are almost there .

BAJATACO.COM
    BAJATACO.COM
    Toyota light expedition vehicle
    Adventure reports
    Lots of Photos

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	285 tires web.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	742  

That is one beautiful Tacoma!

I hope to see it on the trail in person one of these days!

BAJATACO.COM
    BAJATACO.COM
    Toyota light expedition vehicle
    Adventure reports
    Lots of Photos

Life is an adventure! expeditionswest's Avatar

I really like it!

I cant wait to throw the new shoes on my truck... I hope next week or so

Now you need to come play in AZ!!!

Scott Brady
    mailto:guide@expeditionswest.com
    http://www.expeditionswest.com

I want to come visit some time, but it is a 10 hour drive just to the boarder of NM.

Is there anything mid way or just in between? Perhaps that question should go in a trips forum.